In September the Palestinian Authority will apply for full U.N. membership of a state of Palestine which includes the West Bank, the Gaza Strip, and East Jerusalem. As a part of the increasing global pressure to support the fundamental rights of Palestinians, American activists are gathering to voice their opposition to the planned US veto at the United Nations.
Join us in showing that the American government’s favoritism towards Israel is unacceptable and demanding that the current administration refrain from vetoing the bid for Palestinian Statehood.
There are several ways you and your local community get involved:
Join us at actions in New York City:
- Rally and March to the United Nations for Palestinian Sovereignty on September 15: Details here + RSVP on Facebook here
- Find the full schedule of events in NYC in September at www.codepinknyc.org
Local actions you can join:
- September15.org lists local events happening on the global day of protests with the message of “No More Aid to Israel!” Email us if you are planning an action.
- September 16 in Los Angeles join in a demonstration organized by CODEPINK, Jews For Peace & Jewish Voice for Peace.
- Visit your Congressperson’s office and continue to pressure your Rep to stop taking AIPAC $ and instead take a stand for justice. Recently, CODEPINK filed a complaint with the Congressional Ethics Committee, demanding an investigation into the trip for 81 Congressional representatives to visit Israel. Financed by the American Israel Education Foundation (AIEF), a group staffed and funded by AIPAC, this Israel-junket is a blatant effort to further bias our representatives into blindly supporting and funding Israeli policies.
As a world power, the US has been exerting its political weight to shield the Israeli government from any consequences of violations of international law. The US has remained silent on the recent escalation in Israeli bombing of Gaza, violence toward nonviolent protesters in the West Bank, and use of drones to assassinate Palestinians. We strongly oppose the ongoing American silence and actions to deny Palestinian rights.
The pursuit for statehood recognition is being heavily debated by Palestinian organizers, academics and leaders because of the possible political and legal consequences. Read Ali Abunimah's critical analysis of the political implications and the legal opinion of Oxford professor of International Law, Guy Goodwin-Gill. Although there is no clear consensus on the statehood bid at the United Nations, Palestinian civil society has unanimously called for global citizens to join their nonviolent movement for justice. You can join this movement by boycotting and divesting from the Occupation! You can take our pledge to boycott Ahava.
It’s time to end this chapter of violence and oppression and advocate for the full respect of fundamental rights and justice for Palestinians!
Towards a more peaceful world,
Alli, Kristen, Medea, Nancy, Rae, Sanaa and the CODEPINK team